Saturday, December 5, 2009

Roasted Eggplant Salad

I just spent three days hanging out with a vegetarian who showed me how to make some amazing food featuring vegetables. Which makes me happy since I am a HUGE fan of the vegetable. Haven't met too many I didn't like and the ones I have -- well, it usually wasn't the vegetable's fault but the way it had been prepared.

Anyhoo... I'm going to share one of the recipes today. It's SO simple and tastes SO good!


Roasted Eggplant Salad
(serves 6)
3 medium to large eggplants
2 tomatoes
1 small or half of a large onion
salt
vinegar & oil (your choice; I usually reach for olive oil and balsamic vinegar)

Poke eggplants a few times with a fork, roast in hot oven for 1/2 hour or so until skin is black and wrinkled.
While eggplant is roasting, cut up tomatoes and onions in a bowl.
After removing eggplants from oven, slice down middle and carefully scoop out all the pulp (which is VERY hot so be careful!) onto a cutting board. Chop into small pieces and add to tomatoes and onions.
Toss with salt, oil and vinegar to taste.
Chill for at least 2 hours.

[Eggplant can have a bitter taste but prepared this way, it doesn't.]

No comments: